Yes, I realize that stopping in unannounced at your facility while I am in the area can be seen as an unwelcome disruption.
Yet the tone and inflection in your first question, “Are you a salesperson?” has given you away. The Gatekeeper shields go up and the stage is set. Continue reading
No matter my role….Sales Director, Account Executive, Business Development, Sales Mentor…….my selling of security technology (hardware, software, and services) boils down to hard work. Honing one’s craft, if you will.
I’ve done it door-to-door (starting at age 8! – and again later in life). I’ve done it with cold phone calls – residential, commercial, and at the enterprise level. I’ve done it walking through factories, jails, chemical plants, hospitals, schools, utilities, hotels and more. I’ve presented to Executives, Architects, Consultants, IT Departments, Facilities, Law Enforcement, and every flavor of Security Professional you can imagine. Continue reading
- Salesperson 1 shows up two hours late to an appointment with no call, email, or explanation upon arrival.
- Salesperson 2 backtracks on prior, written, sales programs, resorting to name-calling in the process.
- Salesperson 3 “drops in” unannounced and offers no focus/value.
- Salesperson 4 fails to return phone calls and emails – and allows his staff to justify the behavior.
- Salesperson 5 uses the same canned message for every type of prospective customer.
I know sales quite well. I engage with salespeople all day long. I also sell. Continue reading
If you are in Sales are you a Giver or a Taker? Most in the sales business are Takers.
Sales Account Executives who are Takers (similar to, but not to be confused with order-takers) have an expectation that a customer will lay out a nice tidy outline of what they want to buy. Continue reading
I had a great Sales Mentor. Bill Dobson sold nationwide more than 80 years ago. And were he here today, he would outsell all of us. He’d use every available tool…old and new…..from social media to sitting across the table listening to a “soon-to-be customer.” Continue reading